Birch Memorial Clock Tower
Standing in front of the Ipoh State Mosque, the square tower comprises a portrait bust and four panels illustrating the growth of civilization.
Unveiled in 1909, the Birch Memorial, a square decorated tower with a portrait bust and four panels illustrative of the growth of civilization was erected on the table-land at a cost of about $25,000.
A dedication to J.W.W.Birch, the first British Resident of Perak, is found beneath the bronze bust of Birch in the north-facing niche. The clock tower has one mother bell, 6 ft 6 in. in diameter and weighing 10 cwt., and four smaller bells weighing together 10 cwt., which used to strike the chimes of Big Ben.
At the corners of the belfry, mounted on pedestals, are terracotta figures, representing the four “Virtues of British Administration” – Loyalty, with sword and shield, Justice, blind and carrying a sword and a pair of scales, Patience, unarmed, and Fortitude, with a calm face and bearing a spear.